“Will you marry me?” – this is the one question that everyone in a relationship wants to hear at some point. These words that give you butterflies in your stomach, the words that you’ve been waiting to hear from the mouth of your beloved, can indeed come as a total surprise. Or, if you are watchful enough, you could just discern certain sure-shot signs he is going to propose to you soon!
We’ve all day-dreamed of getting proposed to by our man in the most romantic and special ways. But while we long to get engaged to our partners, we are often caught off-guard by the proposal itself. Now that your dating gurus are here to help you out, that’s not going to happen anymore! Join us on our trail and keep your hawk eyes wide open to identify signs of a proposal coming your way as we escort you on your journey toward love.
When Does A Man Usually Propose?
Having spent years in your relationship, you might be on the lookout for marriage proposal signs. Having found your soulmate in him, you are waiting for him to pop the question to you. But are you sure he feels the same way for you? Is he struck by Cupid yet? Did he have his epiphanic moment when he realized you are the one he wants to grow old with? Is he really ready for marriage? We don’t know any of that yet. But what we do know is there could be subtle signs he is going to propose, and you can spot them with a little help from us.
This brings us to also wonder, how soon can a man propose? Well, this depends on whether you are dating a Mr. Darcy or a Joey Tribbiani. He could keep his feelings hidden away from you until he simply can’t anymore, or you’ll never see him propose because he’s already run away. Or your man might pop the question two steady years into the relationship, or he could jump the gun and get an engagement ring within a few weeks of meeting you.
He might want to declare his love for you by shouting from the rooftops, or he might be that old-fashioned guy who first needs to ensure your parents are on board with the proposal. What we do know is that he will propose to you when he feels emotionally, mentally, and even financially stable enough to make the big move.
We are going to dive into how a man acts before he proposes all the way to the different signs he bought an engagement ring and might be hiding it from you. Spotting these, are basically a dead giveaway and will help you see if your guy is going to propose to you or not.
Related Reading: 15 Psychological Tricks To Get Your Boyfriend To Propose
17 Sure-Shot Signs He Is Going To Propose Soon
Differentiating between love and attachment can sometimes actually be more difficult than rocket science. But once you figure that out, there is the anticipation of an imminent proposal. It is natural for you to think, “Okay, it’s been quite long now. It’s about time to put a ring on it. I think I am ready to spend the rest of my life with this person.” But how can you be sure that he wants to sing, I think I wanna marry you? Well, if you look carefully, you will find certain signs he is going to propose to you sooner than you think.
This is where your relationship counselor steps in to hold your hand through a few (17 to be precise) subtle signs he is going to propose to you. So, brace yourself as you look out for these green signals, for who knows, you could be walking down the aisle soon!
1. When guys start thinking about marriage, they start saving up
You know there are marriage proposal signs when you find your man turning frugal for no apparent reason. If there has been no significant change in his income or job and yet he is shying from splurging, then chances are this is one of his ways to sort out his finances before and after the big day. Proposals are incomplete without engagement rings and you know your man is going to surprise you with a sparkling stone, and also wants to be financially stable before you two tie the knot.
Spending the rest of your life with someone is going to be expensive, and it is possible that your boyfriend is beginning to prepare for it. So the next time you hear him talk about savings and being financially secure, or when he suggests opening a savings account for both of you, these could be hints that he wants to propose to you or wants to live together as a couple. He’s trying to save for a future with you. How about you help him with ideas and ways to save money for the rainy days too? We are sure that this sweet, practical gesture will add to all the love he bears for you in his heart.
2. He is taking note of others’ rings
Cishet men and their interest in female jewelry is as rare as wings upon a cat. That is, you will never be able to spot it – but with one exception. It’s when your man is planning to buy the right ring for you. So as soon as he starts saving his pennies for that glittering rock, he would also start showing (albeit unconsciously) interest in the rings worn by people around him. This is one of the subtle signs he is going to propose soon. Caught him discussing rings at people’s weddings? Don’t let this one slide.
This one comes from my personal experience. It seems funny to think of it in hindsight, how blatantly I overlooked my boyfriend’s growing interest in rings. How he went on talking about everyone’s wedding rings, be it my friend Chloe’s, or my sister Mandy’s. But here I was, like all other love-smitten people, blinded by my emotions to take note of these small changes in my man. Four years into our relationship, and I was eagerly awaiting a proposal, almost to the point of desperation (yeah, talk about being silly in love!).
At one point, I almost made up my mind to go ahead and propose to him myself. Just then, I was shocked out of my wits by a jaw-droppingly beautiful band of gold. So yes, when you see your love’s increasing concern with rings, you know happier times are around the corner.
3. He gets closer to your friends/family
You know how surprises can be successfully executed ‘only’ with the help of friends/family acting as close allies? After all, he does need to keep someone in the loop to maybe distract you or to coordinate better or to know your whereabouts. Picture this – your birthday is coming up next week and you have some plans with your BFF, followed by a dinner date with him. As you go about your day with your bestie, he arranges for a few surprises during the day in his gift-giving love language, ending the day with a romantic proposal. It only makes sense that he will plan all of this with your friend in the know, keeping a tab on you all the while (without you knowing any of it, of course).
Had it been more evident beforehand, you could have understood that it is pretty clear that he is going to propose on your birthday. So if he is getting closer to your friends/family and there are increasing meet-ups or conversations between them, you might just be in for a surprise soon (or it might not be a ‘surprise’ anymore).
4. There are discussions about the future
What is it that Robert Browning said about marrying? Grow old along with me, the best is yet to be! Your partner sure believes in this and he foresees the two of you together, holding each other’s hands right through old age.
- Serious conversations: Your conversations are no more casual and flirty like they used to be. They are increasingly veering toward the ‘future’. You know you love someone truly when you see yourself together in the future
- You talk more as a couple than individuals: Everything you do is more oriented towards you two collaborating on it as a couple, rather than you two tackling something individually. There is now a constant ‘we’ factor in your relationship
- Thoughts on love: Your man brings up thoughtful questions with regard to love and life. The conversations are laced with future plans and the times coming ahead – be it your profession, your life goals, or what you are looking for in your partner. When the channels to such serious conversations open up, you know there are signs of a proposal heading your way
5. Your friends/family are acting up
Keeping a piece of good news to oneself is as difficult as finding a needle in a haystack. More so, when you’ve been waiting for something for a long time. Overzealous friends, suppressed giggles from the whole family, and all-knowing glances should be your go-to marriage proposal signs. In fact, this is one of the more obvious signs he bought an engagement ring, probably because your friends and family helped him pick it, and are waiting for him to pop the question to you.
There are chances that your love interest is taking help from your near and dear ones, to go all out with the proposal. Be vigilant and keep your eyes open to pick up hints from an overtly secretive squad brimming with excitement.
When my colleague Ed planned to propose on Christmas, he roped Tiffany’s girl gang (including me) in. Needless to say, we were all too excited when Ed declared he wants to marry his girlfriend of two years. Tiff could sniff out something was amiss, with all of us being too cheerful for no apparent reason. But she could hardly figure out the actual plan. The general air of excitement around us did not catch her attention until Ed popped the question. The moral of the story – don’t be like Tiffany; be watchful of people close to you especially when they are acting too peculiar.
6. He is hiding his cell phone from you
No, we aren’t hinting at trust issues with this one. All we want to say is, he is trying to keep things undercover for the sake of a big reveal later on. We are all guilty of being glued to our screens and carrying our phones along like a limb. But is he getting increasingly possessive of his phone? Is he trying to hide something lest you find out the surprise? These could be subtle signs he is going to propose.
- There is a surprise coming your way: Well, what’s in a phone, you may ask. Why would he be hiding his phone, of all things? The reason is, there could be a little text sent to your mom telling her about the planned proposal or a notification about the purchase of a ring sitting snug in his inbox
- Planning a big party: It is possible that he has bought the ring and set the date for the proposal where he asks you to spend the rest of his life with you. But who knows? Maybe he is a planning a party with your friends and the whole family that you don’t know about yet?
He sure doesn’t want you to know the surprise beforehand to mess up the moment. And his phone is Mr. Know-It-All for the time being.
Related Reading: Saying I Love You First Time- 13 Perfect Ideas
7. You start spending more time together
When you start thinking about marriage, you also try to gauge and understand the person better to solidify the decision of asking them to be your life-partner. Getting engaged is no whimsical decision, and the best way to make sure that decision is final is by putting more effort in your relationship and spending quality time with the woman you are going to propose to. So here’s how it suddenly goes.
The ‘us’ time finally gets its due. He goes out of his way to find reasons to spend quality time together and has developed a sudden interest in activities he wants to do with you. The boys’ nights out are being replaced with Netflix and chill sessions at home. Your man now prefers to quietly cuddle up next to you rather than have boisterous fun with his gang. If he’s been striking off bachelor things like gaming with friends to spend more time with you, you know he is ready to take the plunge, and is seriously considering noting down your ring size.
8. He takes a keen interest in people’s weddings
This is one of the ways of how a man acts before he proposes, and is a dead giveaway. So you will not be able to miss it.
The weddings that he usually got bored of (to the point that he’d rather lock himself up in the bathroom than attend one) are now one of his areas of interest. The same guy who went to a wedding just for the food now takes into consideration all the planning that goes into making it a lavish affair.
- He is looking for ideas: The guy probably has marriage on his mind, hence, he is paying extra attention to all the nitty-gritty since he needs ideas for planning the perfect wedding. The sudden enthusiastic approach to weddings is one of the signs he is going to propose
- Keep a close watch at how he analyses: Be particularly watchful if he is seeking your opinion on everything seen at the wedding. It could be – “How did you find the decor, babe?” or “Did you like the food? It was too mainstream for a wedding, I’d say.” He is asking for your food and decor choices because, duh, he wants to get everything perfect to the T on your special day
9. Planning a fancy trip is one of the signs he is going to propose on vacation
This one takes the matter straight into the hands – he is going to propose on vacation and is one of the biggest signs you just cannot miss. Because…why not? Sun, sand, sea, and a surprise proposal! It sounds perfect, doesn’t it? If you’ve been in a relationship for quite some time now, and he’s displayed a few of the above signs, then planning an unexpected holiday with you is one of the sure-shot signs you’re looking for.
A weekend getaway, a staycation, or a trip nearby – he wants to plan a holiday with you because he is going to propose on vacation. Who knows, he might have a few beach proposal ideas up his sleeve. So the next time your boyfriend suggests a trip together, you know there is a possibility of you returning with a little sparkly special something on your fingers!
- He is particularly excited about this holiday: Note how he gets about this vacation. Does he keep talking about it? Does he keep double-checking the flight timings? If he is especially concerned about how this trip is going to go
- Planning the trip is his domain: From your itinerary to where you are going to stay to your flight timings, if your boyfriend has taken control over the entire trip, it’s because he has probably decided to reserve dinner for you and has planned some sort of a romantic outing where he might propose to you
- He is on his phone a lot before the trip: A few days before you get on the flight, he often goes into the other room to take calls or is always texting away, acting nervous. This is because he is locking down the right place to propose to you and is making necessary engagements for the day
10. A special occasion is coming up
An approaching birthday, anniversary, or any special occasion where loved ones are going to be around, gives one the perfect opportunity to propose. My brother Ryan waited months to propose on Christmas. The holiday season has always held a significant place in his heart as he met Candy at one of the locally held Christmas fests. The festival also marks their anniversary together as a couple and so it was his obvious choice to propose on Christmas and celebrate the special moment during the holiday season. Well, all I can say is it gave us all the more reasons to be merry and sing ‘Tis the season to be jolly.
Similarly, my friend Rey, in a relationship with David for 4 years, was proposed to on his birthday on the beach. However, with them, David was too enthralled in love to take care of the secrecy. Rey was able to see through his gestures and knew he was going to propose on vacation. So, it is all about being alert and observant to pick up the signs of a proposal coming your way.
Related Reading: 85 Romantic 1st Anniversary Messages For Boyfriend
11. He introduces you to his family
One of the most obvious signs he is going to propose is when he takes you home to meet his family. These are ideally the next steps in any relationship when things are starting to get very serious.
- His family already knows all about you: Guys are wary of taking their friends home unless that ‘friend’ is more than a friend. If you are lucky to be his chosen one, chances are his family knows you already (because he can’t stop raving about you). Little comments from his family’s side will completely give it away. And you know the deal is sealed when he takes efforts in the relationship and gets you to meet his family
- He keeps showing you off to them: Your man is proud that he had started dating you and wants to show you off to his family and friends. This is a bold step for him to take which also goes on to suggest that he is soon going to propose. If you are wondering, “How soon can a man propose?” then you might not get a definite answer. But you sure know he is going to propose to you when you have made your way to his home
12. He’s been acting nervous around you
The thought of marrying might be unsettling for some, and thus they may be acting strange on certain occasions. Even though your man wants to marry you, note of he gets nervous and anxious around you. The thought of popping the question might be unnerving for him, even if it is one of the more important things in his life. If you see any such change in your man which makes him panicky, you know he is getting jittery at the thought of ‘the proposal’. After all, it is quite a big relationship milestone for both of you and he would not want to ruin it.
13. He is preparing himself for commitment
Are there any signs he is going to propose on your birthday? Maybe. Your man has expressed that he wants to get committed, maybe after having seen his friends settling down in life with their respective partners. He might be ready to take a leap of faith, now that he sees everyone around him starting their own family.
- He talks about his friends settling down: If he often mentions how many weddings he has been going to recently or how his friends that started dating way after him now have children, he is hinting at being ready to settle down with you soon
- Talks about having a family: Does your man bring up the pure joy of having a child with you? The thought of having a family to go home to is very satisfying and fulfilling. Your man might want that too, with you by his side
How soon can a man propose when he looks ready for commitment? While there is certainly no specific relationship timeline to this or how long men wait usually until they decide to propose, we can tell you for sure that such significant changes in your partner are a sure-shot green signal. Also, when you see your man in a snug financial position and he suggests investing into a future together, he’s definitely ready to embark on a new journey with you.
14. They discuss future goals a lot more
It’s because they are ready to align their future with yours. If you see your partner putting in more effort in understanding your life, routine, friends and future goals — it is because they think it is time to weave your life into theirs. If they’ve been repeatedly asking questions to get to know you all over again as if on a first date, from your favourite recipe to your first crush or push you to understanding and mapping out your own future goals better, it is because they are ready to grow with you.
- Questions about friends: If they take a bigger interest in your friends and their lives, that is also a way for your partner to get to know you better. If he wants to decide to propose, he wants to ensure that you two are solid life-partners
- Always discussing your future plans: When you start thinking about marriage, you often want to have a 5 or 10 year plan ready of where you want to go in life and see yourself. Is it a Master’s degree abroad? Is it a new job or hobby? If he is taking keen interest in seeing what your plans are, it is one of the signs he is going to propose to you soon
15. He has started valuing your opinions a lot more
Has he now consciously started leaving the toilet seat down as you used to ask him to? Because that might be one of the weird signs he is going to propose to you soon.
Perhaps earlier, your man was a free bird who did not often ask anyone for their opinion on what he does or what he wears. It’s just how he was wired and you had gotten used to it. However, of late things seem to be a little different. Almost as if you two are a married couple already, he includes you in every single decision that he wants to make, even if he should wear that cute outfit he bought recently.
From choosing the tie he should don to his work party to what movie you two should see this weekend to what snacks you need when grocery shopping — it’s almost as if suddenly, you get the first and the final say on everything. Not only does this mean that he is utterly smitten with you and respects you deeply, but it also shows that he is thinking that this is the perfect time for you two to be even closer and perhaps, get engaged.
Related Reading: 12 Core Values In A Relationship For A Happy And Lasting Bond
16. Your sex life has gotten more adventurous
And even if not necessarily adventurous per se, it is possible that you two have just become more conscious and are discussing your sex life much more.
- He asks what you like: Now, he is more focussed on pleasing you and getting things right. Not only does he ask questions, but he puts in a lot of effort to make sure that you two are having a good time
- You two have been exploring each other more: What earlier used to be plain and simple sex, has now become a detailed and almost methodical approach. He has developed a sudden interest in something new that he wants to try with you. The romance is still there, but there is greater emphasis on understanding each other’s likes and dislikes and mapping each other’s bodies
- Trying new things: Yes, trying out new things in bed is actually one of the weird signs he is going to propose to you soon. New kinks that he wants to try, fetishes that he has not expressed to you earlier or attempting to use sex toys, are all not just because he wants to jazz up your sex life but also because he is inching towards a greater deal of commitment to you
17. He treats you as the most important person in his life
When it comes to choosing a plus one to anything, he now does not even fathom taking his friend and is always asking you to accompany him to places. Spending more time, texting away all day, checking in on you — even if he did all these things before, try to note if the intensity of this behaviour has suddenly shifted. He makes little comments about how you are the absolute love of his life, or how he cannot spend a day away from you.
Maybe he is also being more vulnerable with you and opening up to you about parts of his life that he did not quite discuss earlier. Not only is he there for you through everything, but also expects you to do the same. As general as it sounds, it is still one of the signs he is going to propose to you soon.
- Spending the rest of your life with someone costs money, and if your man has been especially frugal lately or saving up more, it might be because he is planning a future with you
- He does not take any important decisions without consulting you and treats you as his better half
- One of the biggest signs he bought an engagement ring for you is if your family and friends are acting strangely as if they are hiding something from you
- From a renewed sex life to doing more activities together, if your boyfriend is making a conscious effort to jazz up your relationship, it is possibly because he is getting ready to marry you
Many or all of these signs of a proposal coming your way might be right there, gaping at you. All you have to do is to open your eyes (and heart) to witness all the love he’s surrounding you with. And if, for any reason, you don’t see these signs, you know what you’ve got to do – take things into your own hands. Go all out with your declaration of love and stop waiting for him to propose. You are sure to be blessed with happiness in love.
This article was updated in March 2023.
Not necessarily unless he is an extremely shy guy. It is possible that he will act nervous or act strangely around you.
There is no timelines that suggests when a guy will be a ready for marriage. But usually, it takes at least one year for a man to consider it.
December is a romantic time of year where you can expect your man to take you out to an exclusive restaurant on a romantic outing to ask you the most important question of his life. With Christmas and New Years around the corner, it is usually a time of cheer when men like to propose.
When A Guy Talks About Marriage Too Soon- 9 Things You Should Do