How well do you know your partner? A million-dollar question that may not seem such a hard nut to crack when you are with the right partner and you read each other like a book. But sometimes, even an entire lifetime isn’t enough to see a person for exactly who they are. After a few years of togetherness, you may often find yourself heaving a melancholic sigh, considering yourselves to be one of those couples who have had all their ‘firsts’. No more mystery, no more stories to share!
Well, boast all you want about knowing one another in and out, but you may, surprisingly, find yourself stuck at intricate relationship questions like “what’s your partner’s fondest memory of their childhood” or “what’s on their post-retirement bucket list”. Enter Bonobology with a bag full of get-to-know-your-partner questions to make your strong bond even stronger.
From your partner’s dream destination to their favorite ice cream flavor, we give you the starter pack for many interesting conversations in the future. So, sit tight, grab yourselves a cup of coffee, and give these questions for couples a fair shot. Think of it as a fun love test if you may. Rest assured, it will bring in a wave of affection only to make you feel closer to each other.
Why Is It Important To Know Your Partner Well
The better you know your partner, the better your chances of making the relationship work, as simple as that. It’s one of the reasons many people are dismissive of the idea of love at first sight. After all, how do you fall head over heels for a person and dream of a happily ever after without learning the first thing about them?
What if they are chain smokers and you can barely stand the smell of a cigarette? What if they aspire to become a globe trotter someday and you love your little town way too much to ever think of leaving? After a point, you will realize that not knowing is not part of the fun, but rather a source of all your conflicts.
Research shows that a good grasp of your spouse/partner’s life experiences emotions, expectations, and abilities happens to strengthen the understanding within the relationship. Plus, as you acknowledge and accept the limitations and capabilities of your partner, the relationship runs on a positive cycle.
Now that you are here, looking for meaningful questions to ask your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/partner, you’re off to a good start in your endeavor to deepen the intimacy in your bond. Allow us to explain why and give you five good reasons it’s essential to know your partner well for a healthy relationship:
- Being aware of your loved one’s emotional baggage and traumatic experiences lets you handle sensitive issues more delicately, without accidentally hitting a sore spot
- Knowing about their family dynamics, childhood, and educational background helps you understand the root of various aspects of their personality, their vision in life, and whether your values and morals are aligned or not
- Having a fairly good idea about your partner’s likes and interests gives you a chance to find common grounds for conversation and shared activities
- As you express curiosity and ask many random questions to one another in the process of connecting with your partner on a deeper level, it opens new channels of communication, especially in a new relationship
- When you gather information about your partner, piece by piece, and gradually recognize such beautiful people they are, you learn to appreciate them, you fall for them a bit more every day
201 how well do you know your partner questions to test your intimacy
Sounds scary? But hey, I have got your back! Here is a list of some handpicked questions to get to know someone that can help you determine whether you know your partner like the back of your hand or if there are still some facets of their personality you need to explore.
No matter what the outcome is, there is a bright side to it. If you know your partner inside out, then you can be sure you’ve reached an aspirational level of intimacy. If not, then view these interesting questions to ask your loved one as an opportunity to uncover newer sides to them.
Where do you think you stand? There is only one way to find out: trying your hand at this super fun love test we have rounded up for you. The drill is very simple. You read the questions out loud, try to answer as many of them as you can, and whenever you draw a blank, your partner can fill you in with the right information. Let’s get to it, shall we?
Questions to ask your boyfriend/girlfriend about their childhood and family
You are missing out on a big part of your beloved’s story if you turn a blind eye to their life before you came into the picture, especially their childhood and adolescence. A person’s family and childhood have a huge impact on who they are today. Check out these family questions to see how well do you know your partner, their family bonding, and childhood experiences, both good and bad.
1. What is your partner’s fondest childhood memory?
2. Where did your partner grow up? In the city or the suburbs?
3. What do they cherish most about growing up in that place?
4. Did your partner’s parents move a lot?
5. How would they describe their family home in a sentence?
6. What is your bae’s favorite nickname?
7. Mom vs dad – who do they resemble more?
8. What was their favorite subject in school?
9. Did your partner have any quirky habits as a child?
10. Were they ever into art/music/drama in their school days?
11. Do you remember any fun stories about their childhood like their first stage performance or about the time they played hooky?
12. Did they play any sports growing up?
13. What does your loved one consider to be the best thing learned from a teacher that they are still carrying at heart?
14. What made them happy as a child?
15. Who are your partner’s best friends? Then and now.
16. Is your girlfriend/boyfriend still in touch with their school friends?
17. Did they have their first crush in school? Who was she/he?
18. Was your partner any successful in the dating front in high school?
19. What’s the first word that comes to their mind when they hear the word high school?
20. Was your partner a popular kid or a nerdy one in school?
Related Reading: Talking To Your Partner About Your Dysfunctional Family – The Right Way, And Should You?
21. As a child, what did your partner want to become when they grow up?
22. Have your partner ever been bullied at school?
23. Do your partner enjoy his/her family gatherings?
24. What was the worst trouble they got themselves into as a child?
25 Did your girlfriend/boyfriend grow up with any pets? What was his/her name?
26. How many siblings do your partner have? Do they get along?
27. Is your bae close with their father?
28. How is their bonding with their mother?
29. How does your partner feel about their parenting style that may have largely affected his/her life?
30. Did your partner have a safe, healthy environment at home growing up?
31. Was your partner close to their grandparents? Are they still alive?
32. Which relatives in the family your partner cannot stand at all?
33. Is their family religious? Did they attend Sunday church as a family?
34. Do you recall any family trip in particular that your partner often talks about?
35. What’s their all-time favorite meal cooked by their mom?
36. Did your partner used to watch cartoons? Which was their favorite one?
37. What was their favorite book as a child?
38. What are the words of wisdom their parents have passed on to them?
39. Did your partner have any family traditions that they always looked forward to?
40. How did they spend the big holidays?
Check your sexual chemistry through these intimate questions to ask your girlfriend/partner
What does your partner prefer between the sheets? Can you guess the secret sweet spot that turns them on instantly? Knowing your partner with all their kinks and fetishes reflects a great level of intimacy in the relationship. And here’s a chance to flaunt your knowledge about your bae in a hot way by taking a shot at these erotic ‘get to know you’ questions. So, are you ready?
41. How does your partner define amazing sex?
42. How many people have they slept with?
43. Who was the best that your partner has ever had?
44. Are they adventurous when it comes to sex?
45. What’s the weirdest place your girlfriend/boyfriend has done it in?
46. Is there anything particular in bed that they have never done but so want to try?
47. Is your partner a ‘take charge’ kind of person or do they love to be dominated?
48. What are their thoughts on threesomes? Have they ever had one?
49. What are some non-sexual actions or things that turn your partner on?
50. Who are on your partner’s top five celebrities list that they would like to have sex with?
51. What’s your bae’s wildest sexual fantasy?
52. Have any of their sexual fantasies come true?
53. Do they have any fetish regarding a particular body part?
54. What’s the first thing that sexually attracts your partner to someone?
55. How does porn work for them?
56. If nobody’s watching, where would your partner like to have sex?
57. What are their most sensitive erogenous zones?
58. If being honest, who do they fantasize about while touching themselves?
59. What is their idea of dressing sexy?
60. Is your boyfriend/girlfriend open to the idea of going sex toy shopping with you?
Related Reading: Sexual Compatibility – Meaning, Importance and Signs
61. Has anyone ever walked in while they were having sex with someone?
62. Have your partner ever slept with someone on the first date?
63. Do they have any embarrassing sex stories to share?
64. What is it about you that attracts your partner the most?
65. What’s your partner’s favorite memory of sexual encounters with you?
66. What do they relish most as you go down on them?
67. Foreplay – luxury or necessity? What do they think?
68. Where do they like being kissed the most?
69. Is your partner a fan of BDSM?
70. What’s their favorite sex position?
71. Car sex, phone sex, shower sex – what would be their favorite pick?
72. Does your partner have any traumatic experience that affects their sexual life with romantic partners?
73. How concerned are they about the role of consent in sex?
74. On a scale of 1 to 10, how would they rate your sex life?
75. Given the chance, will they ever do it in a movie theater or an elevator?
76. Can your partner ever sleep with someone without feeling any connection whatsoever?
77. Are they an advocate of safe sex? What’s their preferred mode?
78. Have they ever been diagnosed with a sexual disease?
79. Can a relationship end over bad sex? What do they think?
80. Is there a night of five times? What’s the magic number that your partner has reached in a single day?
Relationship and love questions for couples
Being in a relationship requires you to be aware of what your partner expects from you. How do they define love? What are the relationship deal breakers for them? Are you both on the same page about committing long-term or perhaps, being in an open relationship? As you go back and forth answering these deep relationship questions to ask your girlfriend/partner, you would know exactly where you are headed.
81. At what age did your partner have their first kiss?
82. What does a perfect relationship look like to them?
83. Do they get insecure or jealous very easily?
84. What are the three things that your partner doesn’t like about you?
85. What are the qualities they often flex to impress a potential partner?
86. Have they ever fallen in love with a friend?
87. How many relationships did they have before you?
88. What are your bae’s thoughts on unconditional love?
89. What made them agree to go on/ask you for a second date?
90. Do your partner trust easily? Or it takes some convincing to build trust and dependency in their relationships?
91. Is there a friend or confidant they always turn to for relationship coaching?
92. How and why did your partner’s last relationship end?
93. Do they believe in monogamous relationships?
94. Is there any deep-seated issue that comes in their way of committing to their partners?
95. How does your partner define cheating?
96. Do they take emotional affairs as cheating?
97. Has your partner ever cheated or been cheated on?
98. What’s the worst that they have dealt with to get over a breakup?
99. What’s the lesson they learned from their last relationship?
100. How does your loved one feel about children?
Related Reading: 100 Deep Conversation Topics About Love And Life
101. What is his/her love language?
102. Do they have any kind of relationship insecurities?
103. Would your partner end things with a partner if his/her friends don’t get along with them?
104. How soon is too soon for them to drop the ‘L’ word?
105. At which stage of the relationship do they feel comfortable introducing their partner to the family?
106. What’s that one thing that’s always non-negotiable for them in a relationship?
107. Does your bae have any secret mantra for a happy, long-lasting relationship?
108. What prompts them to make an SOS call to their best friend to run away from a bad date night?
109. Are they a fan of corny pick-up lines?
110. Does your loved one believe in soulmates? Are you soulmates?
111. How do they feel about your impact on their life?
112. What do they count as major red flags in a partner?
113. Do you think your partner would be able to forgive someone after being cheated on?
114. What is their fondest memory about your first date?
115. What’s your girlfriend/boyfriend’s idea of a perfect date night?
116. According to them, what’s the best gift a person can give to their partner?
117. What is your partner’s way of communication when it comes to ending a relationship – in person or over a text message?
118. What is their biggest relationship pet peeve?
119. Have your partner ever broken up another couple to get their way with one of them?
120. Can your partner fall in love with someone online without actually meeting them?
Fun questions to ask your partner to know them better
Looking for questions to get to know someone without giving it so much of a serious spin? We have plenty of examples for you! Whether you want to bond instantly as a newlywed couple or you have been dating for years, the more fun you have in a relationship, the more beautiful your connection becomes.
Knowing some of the funny stories about your partner and sharing a laugh or two can help you work through the hardest months in a relationship. Then how about we make a list of super fun questions to ask your sweetheart if aren’t already a master of their mischiefs and quirks? It will lighten your mood on a boring Sunday afternoon and you can easily make a ‘how well do you know your partner’ game out of it if you keep score.
121. What superpowers would your bae like to have?
122. What’s the most useless talent your partner thinks he/she possesses?
123. What is their most embarrassing public moment?
124. Would your partner rather go for a roller coaster ride or take a stroll in the park?
125. What is the craziest thing they have ever done?
126. Have they ever been tricked into doing something dumb?
127. What is the weirdest food combo that your partner secretly loves?
128. Have they ever run away from a bad date?
129. What’s the cheesiest pick-up line your partner has ever heard?
130. Have they ever lied to get out of a driving ticket?
131. What’s the silliest prank they have ever pulled on someone?
132. Would your partner rather take a thousand dollars or break up with you? What do you think?
133. What’s the reason behind their lifelong passion for procrastination?
134. If your partner was invisible for a day, name five places they would drop by.
135. If you and your bae were animals, what kind would you be?
136. What’s that one joke that always cracks them up?
137. According to them, what is the most fun thing about being in a relationship with you?
138. Have your partner ever crashed a wedding?
139. Have they ever ruined a karaoke night singing awfully bad?
140. Would your girlfriend/boyfriend rather stay home or go out on a Saturday night?
Related Reading: The Ultimate Funny Online Dating Questions
141. If they were a ghost, who are the people they would seriously like to spook?
142. Did your partner ever fail a test in school?
143. If you were to name your sweetheart after a cocktail what would it be and why?
144. Have they ever had a wardrobe malfunction at a party?
145. Have they ever laughed out loud in a serious meeting? What prompted it?
146. Did your partner ever get caught cheating in exams?
147. What is their guilty pleasure show/movie?
148. Has your partner ever experienced ‘love at first sight’?
149. What would they rather pick – good looks or good conversation?
150. Has your girlfriend/boyfriend ever danced at a party like no one is watching?
151. What are your partner’s first-date moves that never failed to score them a second one?
152. Is there anything on their bucket list that they want to do with you?
153. Does your partner find love texts cute or cringy?
154. What’s been your bae’s funniest trick-or-treat costume?
155. What makes you unique as a couple? What are your partner’s thoughts on it?
156. What’s the weirdest place they have crashed at night?
157. Pick an emoji from your phone that describes your loved one the best.
158. What’s that one movie that they are embarrassed to have cried over and now they hide that story from everyone?
159. How long can they go without taking a shower?
160. Till what age did your partner believe that Santa is real?
Random questions to ask your partner
Wait! I got something extra for you! Sometimes our relationships go through a rough patch suffered by good old monotony or some unwanted distance between couples. Whatever the reason may be, it’s always communication that takes a serious hit. Assuming you are in desperate need of fun conversation starters, we have jotted down these random questions to ask and bag some brand-new information about your partner in the process.
161. What would your partner do if they win a million-dollar lottery?
162. Who is their favorite fictional character?
163. What’s their favorite animal to get as a pet?
164. What’s the best gift your bae has ever received?
165. What makes them cringe?
166. What is their dream vacation?
167. What does your girlfriend/boyfriend hate the most about their work?
168. Have they ever fallen in love with a character from a book?
169. What do they like to do to unwind after a long day?
170. What’s your partner’s favorite restaurant for a date night?
171. If they can go back in time and undo one life mistake, which one would it be?
172. How was your partner’s experience at their first job? What was it?
173. What’s one of their favorite subjects that they would like to get a master’s degree in?
174. What’s their favorite movie that they want you to watch?
175. Does your partner believe in ghosts?
176. Which one’s their dream car?
177. Would they like to learn a new language? Which one?
178. Does your partner drink alcohol for fun or to escape reality?
179. Are they a cat person or a dog person?
180. Share one of your bae’s favorite songs with us.
Related Reading: Relationship Doubts – 21 Questions To Ask Yourself To Clear Your Head
181. Who’s their favorite travel partner or do they like to fly solo?
182. How many countries have your partner traveled to so far?
183. What’s their favorite color from their closet?
184. Name one of their favorite TV shows that will never get old for them.
185. Does your partner have a five-year plan chalked out that they would like to include you in?
186. What are their political views?
187. What’s your partner’s philosophy of life that they preach and follow religiously?
188. What do they consider their greatest weakness that affects their everyday life badly?
189. How aware is your partner of women’s health/men’s body language?
190. Have they ever had surgery?
191. Have they ever met an accident?
192. What was the turning point in your partner’s life?
193. What’s their source of motivation that keeps them going as they wake up every day?
194. Who are their go-to people in a crisis?
195. Does your partner face any trouble saying ‘no’ to other people?
196. Do they cry often or do they see it as a sign of weakness?
197. What’s your girlfriend/boyfriend’s definition of success?
198. Where do they want to build their dream house?
199. What’s the fun part about your partner’s retirement plan?
200. Have they ever broken up with a friend?
201. What makes your bae happy in life?
We hope this compilation of fun and interesting questions to ask your partner will offer you better insights into where you are standing in this relationship and your future prospects as a happy couple. It will help you identify those aspects of your partner’s personality that were hidden from you all along.
In fact, studies have shown as you keep trying to know your partner more closely, it increases your ability to decipher the reasons behind their reaction to a certain event which, in turn, impacts your response to it and the health of the relationship as a whole. So, take your pick from intense emotional to light-hearted questions depending on your mood for the day and see for yourself how well do you know your partner.
Obviously, the whole purpose of this love quiz becomes more effective when you both take turns and answer with utmost sincerity. So, today we leave you to it, hopefully with a tinge of intimacy between you and your bae. See you in the next article with more dating and relationship tips and advice.
This article has been updated in March, 2023.
35 Questions To Ask Your Husband For A Heart-To-Heart Conversation
Relationship Advice For Couples – 25 Ways To Strengthen Your Bond