This Easy Beef Stew recipe takes the fuss out of the preparation. Once the ingredients are combined, they simmer in the oven until the beef is tender and flavorful. Serve it over a heaping helping of mashed potatoes and dinner is served. Bonus crock pot instructions included!
Easy Beef Stew Recipe
This recipe for Beef Stew hearkens back to how my Mom made it. The sauce includes tomato soup which is not something I cook with very often but for this recipe it really works! How do you make beef stew? We’re keeping it easy with this recipe, hence the name “Easy Beef Stew” so basically you’ll mix everything together either in a Dutch oven or similar size oven safe pot then cover and braise it low and slow in the oven. Alternately, you can use a large bowl and then pour the stew mixture into a baking dish. Tuck the bay leaf inside then cover with heavy duty aluminum foil and braise in the oven until tender.
How to Make the Best Easy Beef Stew Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Beef Stew: Cubed chuck roast or stew beef, onion, carrots, celery, steak seasoning (or seasoned salt), black pepper, canned tomato soup, Worcestershire sauce, fresh thyme, dry Italian seasoning, sugar, garlic, beef stock, bay leaf, frozen petite peas and chopped Italian parsley for garnishing.
- Kitchen gadgets you’ll need: Dutch oven or oven safe pot, sharp knife and cutting board, measuring cups and spoons, a vegetable peeler and a large spoon for stirring.
- To keep things easy for this recipe, I skip browning the beef. You can certainly do so, if you have time and you prefer to go that route. To do so, drizzle a Dutch oven with olive oil, then heat on the stovetop over medium high heat. Toss the cubed beef with 1/4 cup all purpose flour until lightly coated. Add the beef chunks to the pot in a single layer and turn to brown on all sides. After browning, add the remaining ingredients and mix to combine. Cover then proceed with the recipe as written.
- I serve this beef stew over mashed potatoes. If you’d prefer to add potatoes to the stew you can! You’ll need 3-4 medium golden or russet potatoes peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes. Add them to the beef stew with the remaining ingredients and braise along with the stew.
- You can add more heat to this recipe by adding 1 teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes to the seasoning mix.
- You can replace 1/2 cup of beef stock with red wine, if desired.
- Store cooked stew in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in single servings in the microwave or in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat.
How to Make Crock Pot Beef Stew
- Follow the recipe through step 3.
- Pour evenly into a 6 quart or similar size slow cooker.
- Place the lid firmly on top then cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Add bite size chunks of russet potatoes halfway through cooking, if desired.
- Once the beef is fork tender add the peas at the end of cooking, mixing though.
- Thicken the sauce using tomato paste, one tablespoon at a time. Repeat, stirring well until desired thickness is reached.
More Easy Beef Recipes to Make
- Treat the family to a big bowl of Brunswick Stew for supper.
- Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is a rich and hearty Louisiana favorite.
- Cook up a big pot of Guinness Beef Stew to Celebrate St Patrick’s Day.
- Dublin Coddle is a popular Irish stew that will stick to your ribs!
- Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup is packed with flavor.
- Crawfish Etouffee is a seafood stew that’s sure to warm you up from the inside out.
- Sausage and Vegetable Stew from Food Network.