Kids of all ages will scramble to indulge in this easy Edible Cookie Dough! You can have this sweet snack ready to eat in minutes using simple pantry ingredients plus kitchen tips for consuming safely.
Easy Edible Cookie Dough Recipe
Edible Cookie Dough? Trust me, this is a fun and indulgent treat the kiddos will love. It’s edible due to heat treating the flour to kill any bacteria and omitting eggs. After heat treating the flour, mix it together with butter, granulated sugar, light brown sugar, salt and vanilla then use a small amount of milk to hold it all together. Add chocolate chips and it’s ready to eat! Reasons to love this Edible Cookie Dough Recipe:
- This recipe takes just 10 minutes to make.
- This is a great recipe to make when you want a quick treat for the kids.
- A great way to make a dessert without heating up the kitchen.
- The kids will love making this with you and they get to eat it right out of the bowl.
How to Make the BEST Edible Cookie Dough
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Edible Cookie Dough: All purpose flour, semi sweet or milk chocolate chips, butter, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, milk, salt and vanilla extract.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: Medium bowl, small bowl, sheet pan (if using the oven method for heat treating the flour), measuring cups and spoons, hand mixer and silicone spatula.
- This edible cookie dough tastes like it is ready to bake. The flour has been heated so the bacteria will be removed from it so everyone can eat cookie dough. The cookie dough batter tastes just like raw cookie dough with a buttery creamy batter and sweet chocolate chips.
- You can use your favorite chocolate chips in this dough whether it’s milk chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, dark chocolate chips, or white chocolate chips.
- You can eat the dough immediately, but it is best served chilled. Chilling the dough for 30-60 minutes is best.
- Why Do I Need To Heat The Flour? The flour needs to be heated so that any harmful bacteria is removed. The safe temperature for raw flour needs to reach at least 160°F.
- You can heat treat the flour in the microwave cooking for 1 minute 15 seconds stopping to stir at 15 second increments. You can also heat treat the flour on the stovetop over medium low heat in a skillet or a small saucepan. Stir while cooking for 3-5 minutes or until it reaches a temperature of 160°F.
- Oven Heat Treating: You can also heat the flour by spreading it on a baking sheet and placing it into a preheated 350° F oven for 5-6 minutes.
- If the butter and flour aren’t completely cooled, the batter may be slightly warm. If needed, pop the bowl into the fridge for 10 minutes or until cooled prior to adding the chocolate chips so they will maintain their shape.
- Can you bake Edible Cookie Dough? No, it doesn’t contain any leavening or eggs as a typical cookie batter would. Checkout my recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookies here if you want to enjoy a fresh from the oven cookie treat.
- Store Edible Cookie Dough in an airtight container chilled in the refrigerator for up to one week. You can freeze it for up to 1 month.
More Easy Cookie Recipes to Make
- Peanut Butter Cookie Sandwiches are filled with chocolate ganache.
- These Sour Cream Sugar Cookies can be made into any shape you like.
- White Chocolate Cherry Pudding Cookies melt in your mouth.
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are filled with Reese’s Pieces.
- White Chocolate Macadamia Coconut Cookies are rich and chewy.
- This Homemade Macarons Recipe results in confections that are crisp and delicious.
- Ginger Cookies from Wonky Wonderful.