These Hot Chocolate Cookies are topped with mini marshmallows and chocolate sprinkles to gild the lily. Enjoy them fresh from the oven while the marshmallows are still gooey and warm or at room temperature.
Easy Hot Chocolate Cookies Recipe
This recipe for Hot Chocolate Cookies are made in a similar fashion to thumbprint cookies. The center is filled with mini marshmallows that are toasted until golden and gooey under the oven broiler then topped with chocolate sprinkles. To make Hot Chocolate Cookies use a whisk to sift together all purpose flour, unsweetened cocoa powder, dry hot chocolate mix, salt and baking soda. Use a hand mixer to cream together softened butter with granulated sugar and vanilla, then add two large eggs beating until the mixture is fluffy. Gradually add the sifted dry ingredients beating just until fully combined. Roll the cookie dough into 1 inch balls then roll in white sugar and place onto the cookie sheets. Once baked, top with mini marshmallows and pop back into the oven under the broiler to toast. Delicious!
How to Make the BEST Hot Chocolate Cookies Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Hot Chocolate Cookies: All purpose flour, cocoa powder, dry hot chocolate mix, espresso powder (optional) salt, butter, large eggs, vanilla extract, baking soda, mini marshmallows and chocolate sprinkles.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: A stand mixer or hand mixer, measuring cups and spoons, whisk, medium bowl, large bowl, sheet pans, cooling rack, small scoop and cookie spatula.
- Espresso powder has the ability to intensify the flavor of chocolate. It’s optional, you can omit it if desired.
- You can add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon to the sifted dry ingredients to give these cookies a Mexican hot chocolate flavor with no other adaptations needed. You could also add 2 teaspoons of ground cinnamon to the granulated sugar for rolling the cookie dough balls.
- For a more intense chocolate flavor, use dark cocoa or Dutch process cocoa powder.
- You can use a pastry torch to toast the marshmallows if you have one and skip placing the cooking under the broiler. Either way will work.
- There’s no wrong way to enjoy these cookies. You should cool them completely prior to storing, but you can eat them fresh from the oven while warm, too! They are hot chocolate cookies, afterall.
- If you want to enjoy these cookies warm just pop them into the microwave and gently reheat for a few seconds.
- Store baked Hot Chocolate Cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
More Cookie Recipes to Make
- No time to bake? The kiddos will love this Edible Cookie Dough!
- Turtle Cookies are filled with chocolate and pecans topped with a drizzle of caramel.
- Powder sugar coated Chocolate Crinkle Cookies are a holiday must make!
- Peanut Butter Cowboy Cookies are a fan favorite.
- Cutout Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies can be made into any shape depending on the occasion.
- Molasses Cookies melt in your mouth.
- Key Lime Coconut White Chocolate Chip Cookies are filled with the fresh flavor of lime.
- Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies from Iowa Girl Eats.