This Pumpkin Coffee Cake recipe features a tender moist crumb that’s only eclipsed by the buttery pecan and toffee filled streusel topping. Treat yourself to a piece any time you’d like to take a moment to pause throughout the day with your favorite beverage.
Easy Pumpkin Coffee Cake Recipe
Pumpkin and fall go together hand in glove. The season most people enjoy pumpkin goodies is far too short for me and I’m grateful you can find canned pumpkin year-round at the grocery store. How easy is it to make Pumpkin Coffee Cake? First, begin with a medium bowl and a whisk to sift together all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. In a separate bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together softened butter with white sugar, light brown sugar and vanilla. Add the large eggs one at a time, then lower the speed of the mixer and gradually beat in the sifted dry ingredients. Once combined, spread into a square baking dish and sprinkle with the buttery crumb topping. Bake per the recipe, then enjoy a piece warm, at room temperature or chilled.
How to Make the BEST Pumpkin Coffee Cake Recipe
- Ingredients you’ll need to make homemade Pumpkin Coffee Cake: All purpose flour, light brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon, pumpkin puree, softened butter for the cake and cold cubed butter for the streusel topping, large eggs, vanilla extract, chopped pecans and toffee bits.
- Optional glaze: 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1-2 tablespoons heavy cream and dash of vanilla extract.
- Kitchen tools you’ll need: One large bowl, one medium bowl, 9 x 9 inch baking pan or 10 inch springform pan, measuring cups and spoons, hand mixer or stand mixer, small bowl, pastry blender, whisk and silicone spatula.
- You can use pumpkin pie spice or ground cinnamon in this recipe. Pumpkin pie spice is a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, clove and ginger so it expands the flavor profile.
- Please note: This recipe calls for canned pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling.
- In this recipe, it’s not necessary to toast the pecans prior to baking as they will toast beautifully while the cake bakes. You could also use walnuts in place of pecans.
- You can eat this coffee cake while warm, at room temperature or chilled.
- The glaze is completely optional as the streusel topping is quite delicious all on its own. I like to include it so you can adapt to your taste.
- Store Pumpkin Coffee Cake in an airtight container chilled or at room temperature for 3-4 days. Storing a cake chilled will lengthen the shelf life.
- You can also freeze this cake for up to 2 months.
More Pumpkin Recipes to Make
- Start your morning with Pumpkin French Toast.
- See my tutorial for how to make homemade Pumpkin Puree.
- Individual Mini Pumpkin Pies topped with whipped cream.
- Pumpkin Spice Layered Lush is a fan favorite!
- Cream cheese frosted Pumpkin Pecan Cookies.
- Skip the drive thru and make your own Pumpkin Spice Lattes at home.
- Pumpkin Cream Pie with Bourbon Whipped Cream will elevate your pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving.
- Pumpkin Pops from The Gunny Sack.